Yes! There will be class on Monday (Memorial Day) at 6:30pm. Meet at the gazebo on the playground at BFA Fairfax. Who knows what Tia has in store for us 🙂
Then don’t forget about the three other classes this week (Wednesday in Jeffersonville @6:30pm, Thursday in Fairfax @6:30pm and Saturday in Fairfax @8am)
Best Exercises for the Hamstrings & Adductors
We were talking about this at Saturday’s class. Please read:Source: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercises-hamstrings-adductors-12391.html
Because these muscles are connected together by nerves and connective tissues, the best exercises to train to minimize your risk of injuries are the ones that integrate them with the rest of your body, instead of isolating them.
Your hamstrings and adductors don’t just move in one direction. They are able to move in three planes of motion: the sagittal, frontal and transverse planes, says strength coach Matt Hank, owner of ASAP Performance Training. The sagittal is front and back motion; the frontal plane is side-to-side motion; the transverse moves with rotation patterns. Since these muscles primarily work to reduce force and decelerate your body when it’s in motion, they must be able to move in all three planes of motion during cutting and turning movements, such as in basketball, soccer and ballet. You can do most lower-body exercises and move in all three planes of motion. These include lunges, step-ups and single-leg hopping.
Traditional weight-lifting exercises, like squats and deadlifts, strengthen your legs and hip, including your hamstrings and adductors. They work together with other muscles in your legs and hip to stabilize your knee and hip joints and control the rate of your movement, according to Michael Clark, coauthor of NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training. Deadlifts and squats are two foundation exercises for full-body strength that use your buttocks as the main force generator. With a strong and flexible hip, you will have a reduced risk of getting an injury. Use dumbbells, kettlebells or a barbell for these exercises.
Power training improves your muscle reflexes and the amount of force you generate with your muscles. These exercises involve you moving quickly repetitively for a number of reps or a period of time. For beginners, start with jumping and landing on two feet before progressing to one foot. These exercises include depth jumps, box jumps, vertical jumps and side hops.
Here’s a yummy one: http://m.californiaavocado.com/m/recipe/31867/paleo-chocolate-avocado-cake?platf
Check these out:Source: http://parade.condenast.com/264581/jenniferfarley/20-amazing-paleo-avocado-recipes/
Pumpkin Spiced Avocado Smoothie – I love adding avocados to smoothies. It may sound a bit weird but don’t knock it until you try it. Pumpkin spice and coconut milk are the predominant flavors in this smoothie and avocado creates a thick, creamy texture similar to a milkshake.
2. Baked Avocado and Egg with Miso Butter – Cooking an egg inside an avocado creates a tasty breakfast full of protein and healthy fats. Miso butter adds a ton of flavor.
3. Sweet Potato, Apple and Avocado Salad – This is one of my favorite lunch options at the moment. Sweet potato, apple, red onion, and lime juice complement the avocado perfectly.
4. Chilled Tomatillo Avocado Soup – Avocado acts as a thickener in this recipe to create a rich soup that you’d never know is missing the cream.
5. Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps with Bacon – In a different take on egg salad, avocado binds eggs and celery together for a simple lunch or snack.
6. Grilled Avocado and Peach Salsa – Have you ever tried grilling an avocado? It creates a smoky flavor perfect for salsa! This recipe is wonderful on top of fish and poultry.
7. Grilled Spicy Cilantro Shrimp and Spinach Salad – Perfect for lunch or dinner, this salad is both flavorful and filling.
8. Mini Bacon Guacamole Cups – These guacamole-filled bacon “cups” are pretty much the ultimate appetizer.
9. Rock Shrimp Cobb Salad – This salad is a tasty lunch or dinner option.
10. Scallop Ceviche with Orange and Avocado – If you love scallops as much as I do, this ceviche is for you. Avocado is the perfect complement to the shellfish and orange brings a refreshing citrus note.
11. Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Cream Sauce – In addition to creating a rich, creamy smoothie, avocados are the perfect base for a healthy cream sauce.
12. Baby Kale Salad with Strawberry and Avocado – This is a perfect summer lunch or appetizer!
13. Tuna and Avocado Stuffed Tomatoes – This satisfying lunch is brimming with nutrients such as omega-3s, something many of us lack in our everyday diets.
14. Southwest Meatballs with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce – A dinner so flavorful you will never miss the pasta!
15. Paleo Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing – I always love a good taco salad.
16. Blackened Salmon with Mango-Avocado Salsa – Avocado and fruit salsa is always a perfect companion to fish.
17. Grilled Pineapple Burgers with Spicy Avocado Cream – Who needs a bun? This burger is incredibly satisfying.
18. Paleo Steak and Avocado Roll-up – I love steak and avocado together, which is why this wrap is especially intriguing. It requires a specialty ingredient that can easily be swapped with lettuce for a convenient meal.
19. Chocolate Avocado Pudding – You haven’t fully experience the wonders of avocado until you try it in pudding or mousse.
20. Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream – This ice cream is better than store bought and so much healthier!