Week in Review
Monday we benchmarked and Thursday was a mixed bag of stations and the 10-10-10 workout. On Tuesday, we celebrated the 50th Day (half-way mark) for the 100 Day Challengers at my house. We also welcomed new boot campers to the mix: Lisa, on the Fairfax Rescue, then we had Tanika, Meredith and Russell.
*Stocking Stuffer Idea*
Concept2 Rower Raffle Ticket
Buy online…Ends Dec. 31…just under 100 sold so far…great odds!! Benefits American Cancer Society.
Ships for FREE any where in the U.S.
Pass this on to your friends & family
Purchase 1 or more online. Click green “Register” button on the site:
Acid vs. Alkaline
What does this mean? You probably know people with acid reflux. See what foods are contributing, it may surprise you. Check out the following article from livestrong.com.
Human blood pH should be slightly alkaline, in the range of 7.35 to 7.45. Below or above this range results in an imbalance of the body’s pH, which can lead to various symptoms and diseases. Nutritional experts, like Dr. Doug Graham, have applied Pareto’s 80-20 principle to food, advocating that an optimal diet contains 80 percent alkaline-producing foods such as vegetables and fruits, and the remaining 20 percent are from protein and fat. Other experts including Dr. Andrew Weil propose that a diet that can contain a higher percentage of fats and protein and still be sufficient to maintain health and vitality. Generally, 60 percent of the diet should come from alkaline-producing foods.
Dr. Robert O. Young, PhD, D.Sc., ND, author of the book “The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health,” explains that when the body is excessively acidic, important minerals such as sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium will be leached out of vital organs and bones to buffer the excess acidity. This can result in nutritional deficiencies, undermining general health. The current “Western diet” is comprised, to a large extent, of acid-forming foods such as processed foods, protein, cereals and sugars. An imbalanced diet high in acidifying foods increases the pressure on the body’s regulating mechanisms to maintain pH neutrality, which increases the likelihood of chronic degenerative diseases.
The body requires a slightly alkaline pH level to heal itself. Acidosis impairs body function. It hinders the body’s ability to optimally absorb minerals and nutrients, decreases total energy production in cells, and negatively influences the body’s normal mechanisms of repair, maintenance, elimination and detoxification. Acidosis leads to a favorable environment for tumor cells to thrive, and increases susceptibility to fatigue and chronic illness. Alkaline foods function to balance acidifying foods to maintain a slightly alkaline human blood pH. If a diet consists of highly acidic foods and does not include an adequate amount of alkaline foods, extra buffering will be required to achieve pH neutrality. As noted by Dr. Young, this extra buffering comes from vital organs, which can cause chronic illness.
Foods are classified into two broad categories: acid-ash and alkaline-ash. According to Phillip Day, an expert in the field of cancer research and author of the book “Health Wars,” the ideal diet should be composed of 80 percent alkaline-ash foods and 20 percent acid-ash foods to prevent the onset of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Acid-ash foods can be sub-categorized as: low acid, acid, and highly acid. Similarly alkaline-ash foods can be further classified as: low alkaline, alkaline, and highly alkaline.
Broadly, acid-producing foods include meat, poultry, dairy, fish, and refined and processed foods. Alcohol, black tea, and artificial sweeteners are also on the list of highly acidifying foods. According to the book “Health Wars,” neutral foods such as corn oil, corn syrup, olive oil, and refined sugar have an acidifying effect on the body. Highly acidic foods include pork, veal, beef, canned tuna, sardines, and processed cheese. Peanuts and walnuts are also highly acidic and should be eaten in moderate amounts.
Generally, fruits and vegetables are alkaline-ash foods. Good sources include vegetable juices, raw parsley, broccoli, celery, garlic, barley grass, lettuce, zucchini, apples, pears, kiwi, raisins, and grapes. Nuts and seeds are mostly acidic with the exception of hazelnuts, almonds, chestnuts, brazil nuts, coconut, flax seed oil, olive oil, and canola oil. Grains and cereals fall under low alkaline, low acid, acidic. Choose alkaline-forming grains rather than acidifying types, which includes amaranth, quinoa, rice, millet, and lentils. Herbals teas are generally alkaline, including green tea and ginger tea. Refined sugars are acidifying; however, raw honey and raw sugar are low alkaline. Increasing your intake of whole foods and eating food in its natural form is a simple method for incorporating alkaline-forming foods into your daily diet.